South Peninsula Hospital Functional Medicine Clinic exists to make Functional Medicine a living, vital presence in our community.
“Functional Medicine is an approach that works on underlying functions of the body and strongly focuses on using vitality as a clinical tool.”
-Rob Downey, MD, IFMCP
How is a functional medicine different than conventional medicine?
- Functional Medicine encompasses conventional medicine. All of conventional medicine fits within Functional Medicine, but all of Functional Medicine does not fit within conventional medicine.
- Functional Medicine looks for and addresses the roots of disease and the prevention of disease.
- Functional Medicine defines health as more than the absence of disease.
- Functional Medicine uses a bigger toolbox than most conventional medicine: medications still have a role and additional tools include food plans, vitamins, minerals, supplements, supporting adequate healthy sleep, supporting adequate social resources, stress management, exercise and restorative practices like yoga, meditation and biofeedback.
- Sophisticated tests are available to evaluate functions of the body via Functional Medicine labs and all tests results showing imbalance(s) have accompanying strategies offered to restore the imbalance(s) to optimal.
Learn more about functional medicine by visiting Institute for Functional Medicine