Vaccines for Adolescents and Children 5-11 years old
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), with unanimous support from the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), recommends that children 5 to 11 years old be vaccinated against COVID-19 with the Pfizer-BioNTech pediatric vaccine, made available by FDA Emergency Use Authorization. (Read more about Emergency Use Authorizations here.)
Appointments are available for children ages 5-11 years old on Wednesdays and Saturdays at the Vaccine and Test Clinic at 4201 Bartlett Street. These appointments are for the first of a pediatric two dose series of Pfizer-BioNtech. A parent or guardian must be present at the appointment and sign the consent forms. The child should not come if they are experiencing any sudden or unexplained COVID-like symptoms, or if they have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. An appointment for the second dose of this two dose series will be made during the time of the first visit. Scroll down to make an appointment
Pediatric doses of COVID-19 vaccines are now available for children ages 5-11 years of age by appointment at Homer Medical Center as follows:
- Friday, November 12
- Wednesday, December 1
- Friday, November 3
Call 235-8586 to set up your child’s appointment for vaccine, or to arrange a time to consult with their provider.
Booster eligibility expanded!
Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna and Janssen COVID-19 vaccine booster shots are available under FDA emergency use authorization and CDC recommended for:
- Anyone who is six months or more after their initial series of the Pfizer or Moderna series
- Anyone who is at least two months after their Janssen vaccine
Eligible individuals may choose which vaccine they receive as a booster dose. Some may have a preference for the vaccine type they originally received, while others may prefer to get a different booster.
Where can I get my vaccine booster?
- Set an appointment with your primary care provider
- Set an appointment at the SPH Test and Vaccine Site (see below)
Covid-19 Vaccine Information:
- What is an mRNA vaccine
- Pfizer-Biontech – authorized under FDA Emergency Use Authorization for children 5-11 years of age
- Pfizer-Biontech–authorized under FDA Emergency Use Authorization for individuals 12 – 15 years of age;
- COMIRNATY (Pfizer-Biontech) – Fully approved by FDA for 16 years of age and older
- Moderna – authorized under FDA Emergency Use Authorization for 18 years and up
- Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) – authorized under FDA Emergency Use Authorization for 18 years and up.