South Peninsula Hospital is pleased to offer diabetes self-management education through fun, interactive group sessions, and/or one-on-one appointments for individuals and families. Group classes are offered monthly as needed. Individual sessions are available by appointment. With self-management education, you will develop new self-care tools and step-by-step plans for staying healthy and enjoying life. Topics covered include:
– Goal setting
– Staying active
– Healthy eating & nutrition education
– Strengthening coping skills
– Taking advantage of new technologies
– Understanding medications
– Decreasing complication risks
– Making action plans
– Working with your health care providers
– Using glucose meters & continuous glucose monitors to identify blood sugar patterns
A referral from your health care provider is required. Diabetes education is covered by many insurance programs, including Medicare. Sliding scale fees are available.
Experienced instructors in this program are Certified Diabetes Nurse Educator PeggyEllen Kleinleder, BSN, RN, and Clinical Dietician Patricia Doran, MPH, RDN . For more information, call (907) 235-0311.
South Peninsula Hospital Specialty Clinic offers diabetes care with Ross Tanner, D.O., founder of the Diabetes & Lipid clinic of Alaska. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call the Specialty Clinic at (907) 235-0310.